Page 1 of 1

Asc starting to give anoyance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 pm
by ron
Hi all I need some help or some suggestions on my ASC pls this car is a right hand drive in case any one should ask, I always have to reverse off my drive and a few days ago i started my car , started to reverse and heard a grinding type noise , I wondered what the hell it was got out checked wheels and under car nothing wrong there so got back in started to reverse and same sound again then realised ive heard this noise before when the traction control kicked in , but this is when wheel spinning in wet usually , so I carried on and went into 1st and pulled away same again but no flashing light at this time, this only happened for a few seconds and soon as i pick up speed it stops soon as i came to a junction the same thing happens again, Ive checked it as at only 1000 to 1500 revs then stops soon as i get moving more than a couple of mph. A couple of times now it has got louder and more intense its then that the asc light flashes but only for a few seconds , twice now the light has stayed on then the traction control does not work but resets after turning ign off and on, i HAVE PUT THE CAR ON GRASS TO TEST THE TRACTION CONTROL AND ITS WORKING FINE AND SO IS THE ABS also the times the asc light was on the abs still worked so it seems obvious to me its nothing to do with the abs system or the front wheels , also I can press the asc button and that stops it messing about but also stops traction control I have a BMW obd1 fault scanner but its not throwing up any faults. So this is just being a pain in the bum and rather annoying . Has any of you had this problem or any ideas, think I did catch a glimpse while looking in the mirror whilst reversing the passenger side lift up for a split second makes me think its the off side brake that the asc is putting on , but as ive said this happens very quickly and at less than walking speed . Think ive explained this in full now , so anyone got any ideas what's going on here

thanks all
Ron

Re: Asc starting to give anoyance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am
by ron
Hi all There is a new development with this ASC messing me about. I've cleaned the sensors and the toothed ring and after a couple of days it started behaving, I thought I had fixed the problem, It stopped messing about completely, I did have a mis matched pair of tires on the back corners that the walls had some nasty looking cracks staring to appear so went and bought a matched pair had them fitted and balanced as was told a mis match pair could of been the problem. Car drove 12 miles home fine no problems at all, after a couple of hours on the drive i had to move the car for my son, so went to reverse off drive and guess what!!!! ASC light flashes ABS pump starts making its noise, I knocked it out of gear into neutral and to my disbelief it still carried on so I held it at 1500 rev the ASC light was flashing like a nutter and the ABS pump was having a fit by the sounds of it, after what felt like a lifetime it stopped must of been a minute or two.I switched off then started the ol girl again and the ABS and ASC lights went out and all seemed normal. Not been out today to see what's happening but has any of you lot had anything like this happen if so what was wrong how did you get over it any ideas pls will be greatly appreciated. Oh I did put the obd1 code reader on and no faults. :?