Page 1 of 1

BMW E36 engine noise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:18 pm
by Thug4life
Hello there . I am having this knocking sound comming from the engine block everytime i start the engine first thing in the morning but after the engine warms up it stops.I have posted a youtube video with the noise in question, its under the title of (e36 engine knocking ) Please could anybody help. Thanks.

Re: BMW E36 engine noise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:46 pm
by scottzee
Hi. I have been experiencing the same problem with my 318i for a few years. Usually straight after an oil change and 1,000km before an oil change is due. I've been told the noise is made by the tappets/ lifters due to old age. I've also been told that there isn't enough oil getting to these parts upon start up. To fix this problem i've tried running thicker viscosity oils and thinner viscosity oils with little success. The only temporary solution i have discovered is to add an oil additive. Liqui Moly have a good one called "Engine Tappet Stop Noise".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 am
by pommy
Hi,

If the noise is from the block, it won't be the lifters.

That said, the rest of your symptoms point at the lifters?

Check the noise location, it will be from the very top of the engine if it's the lifter/s and also be high pitched, more like a "ticking" rather than "knocking".

If it IS knocking - let us know ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 am
by ak27playa
guyz i have the same silly problem (the knocking noise when the car is cold) ... it seems that nobody got the perfect solution for this dilema ... i think am quite late for yr blog but if anyone got the answer please help

cheers :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:37 am
by davidaln9
Hi ak27playa
If I had to guess a knocking sound when cold I would guess at a bit of wear in the crank bearings and when the motor warms up they tighten up and stop knocking ...just don't thrash your car to much especially when it's cold and you should still get thousands of more miles of enjoyable driving

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 am
by katsdogsam
Mines does that only knocks when cold.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!TURNED OUT TO BE ENGINE MOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Changed that and no more knocking