Page 1 of 1

gutless 323

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 pm
by neilb
hi all this is my first bmw 323 and i have a problem when i start it up it starts first time when i drive off its guttless no power if i dip the clutch cet the revs up it goes like stink it seams like its drawing air in but i have checked all pipes but cant see anything that jumps up at you ....................can any one help some one has said fuel pressure regalator but need to found out if anyone else has had the prob or knows what it is HELP PLEASE

Re: gutless 323

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm
by jitsjaf2009
Check for air & Vacuum leaks...use of carb cleaner works good for verifying and localizing where. They can be very 'sneaky'. Check from MAF to intake manifold or ANY of the various vacuum lines. Change the fuel filter before thinking fuel pressure regulator. Also everyone seems very insistent on NGK spark plugs for our vehicles. I changed out the new Bosch +4s (I had installed in my 325i when I first got it) for the dual tip NGK plugs specified and noted a perceptible difference...and it wasn't 'gutless' to start with. Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 pm
by neilb
exellent thanks for the reply i will try them and get back cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 pm
by jitsjaf2009
Did you ever resolve your "gutless" problem? I was getting my other vehicle smogged a couple days ago and a guy driving a 328 came in to thank the mechanic. Seems he was in for smog a week before and couldn't pass due to catalytic. He said he had 138K on it and was complaining about it having become "gutless" in spite of new plugs, filters etc. Mike changed the catalytic, he passed smog and went on his merry way. He wanted Mike to know he didn't believe him when he said the catalytic may have caused his "sluggishness" and probably some increase in operating temp. He wanted to let Mike know he had his pep back. Long story short...if you have NOT been using 91 octane gas, never ran any Seafoam or Marvel mystery oil to clean injectors & upper cylinders...if you have been running dino oil versus fully synthetic (i.e. Castrol or Mobil 1 Platinum...you may need a catalytic...or at least could start on improving those items, and ultimately improving performance. Let us know how it is going. Any vacuum leaks??