Page 1 of 1

driver's window won't go up automatic on coupe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 am
by notty
Drivers window goes up a little way then comes back down again, only way i can get it to go all the way
up is to put it up bit by bit, this is very annoying, it sometimes does this on the passenger side too.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Re: driver's window won't go up automatic on coupe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 am
by VMZ
This is a common E36 problem, however there's no agreed upon fix.

Some of the options are;
Grease scissor mechanism
Lube glass sliders and window seals
Replace regulator
Reset the windows

Resetting the windows is done by winding down both front windows together, keeping the buttons pressed for 10-15 seconds and then both up together and again keep the buttons depressed for 10-15 secs.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:11 am
by shady13
I have the same problem with my driver's side door. I have a temporary solution for you though, you can lift it all the way up by pressing hard on the button and keep your finger on the button, until your window gets all the way up. I had the same problem with my both doors, actually, but on one day I have replaced my right side door mechanism and it has fixed the problem. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am
by VMZ
That doesn't work on either of my coupés. Holding down the button does nothing once the window has moved up a bit, stopped and dropped back a little.

The only way to get them up is like Notty posted, putting it up bit by bit by repeatedly pressing the up button.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 pm
by shady13
Did you press hard on the button, until you hear the second click and hold your finder this way, until it reaches the top?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 am
by VMZ
I did.
My '98 has no second click, the '92 does but it don't change the way the window behaves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm
by shady13
May be one of the reason, is that one of the parts has been worn out more, than mine. Anyway, like I said before, this could only be temporary solution, replacing the unit should help, I hope.
I heard somewhere, that button malfunction can cause such kind of problems, but mines are ok and I have excluded this option.